Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Losing Weight to avoid diabetes

A few months ago I got seriously worried that I might have diabetes, and there's nothing like fear for motivation. I've already lost fifteen pounds which has already reduced my blood sugar levels, but I'm going to keep going (yes, I have a lot to lose).

I got a blood glucose monitor so I can keep track of the effect of foods on my blood sugar, and am hoping I can eventually get myself out of the "prediabetic" range back to normal. If not, I'm at least happy to find out I'm not outright diabetic, which for a while there I thought might be the case, and glad to know that I have so much control over it with diet. No fad diets, just emphasizing good nutrition and counting calories. Counting calories is the only thing that ever worked for me and it's working now.

Thought I'd post some helpful information I've found on the internet for anyone who needs the information who stumbles on this post:

So You Wanna Lose Weight: The basics about losing weight very convincingly presented.

Here's a very helpful Calorie Calculator site -- to figure daily calorie intake for weight goals. They have a calculator for men and a calculator for women.

I'm a bit surprised to find myself including this ad for a diet program but I watched the video and thought they did a very good job. This is called The Diet Solution -- good advice about what kinds of foods are best. I learned a lot about which carbs to avoid and which to choose. The video alone gives helpful advice. I didn't get the program but it looks like a good one. They emphasize natural foods, avoid processed foods, which I do anyway.

They also put down calorie counting and I haven't read enough to find out how good or bad their reasoning may be about that, but I'm certainly not giving that up for now as it is the ONLY thing that works for me to lose weight. Whatever I eat I measure and I write it down, I look up its calorie count if I don't already know it, also its carb count, and keep a running tally for the day.

I also ran across some independent recommendations for that diet plan. Here's one.

No comments:

Post a Comment