Monday, August 29, 2011

Update on the smoking situation

After nearly a whole month of suffering from my neighbor's smoke, at long last, as of yesterday afternoon, the property manager got her to go smoke behind the laundry room and I can breathe again.

It turns out there is a law against "endangering the health or well being" of another person, which is grounds for eviction. I thought there simply must be a law along those lines, it's insane to think that a person could smoke freely even when the smoke stings another person's eyes, makes her chest hurt, prevents her from opening a window or turning on the A/C, and generally makes her miserable in her own home. Thank You Lord that there is such a law.

The neighbor's attitude had been that "this isn't California and I'm not doing anything wrong!" but I think the principle of the thing finally got through to her --the threat of eviction if nothing else. But best of all I don't think there are any hard feelings on either side and I'm very glad of that since I've been hysterical over it more than once and could easily have said or done something I'd regret. Insufficient prayer of course.

I did get an anti-pollution mask that worked great for a few days at blocking out the smoke, although of course having to wear a mask in my own home wasn't fun, but after a few days the smell of the mask materials started to nauseate me and I had to give up wearing it yesterday.

So the manager's intervention came just in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment