Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Green Smoothies and other diet ideas: possible toxicity at extremes

It did occur to me to ask why nutrient-intense eating isn't more recommended, so I've been reading up on the possible toxicities involved in overdoing some foods.

It's both sobering and reassuring. You really can get too much of a good thing, but on the other hand it's hard to get too much. There's a story out there of a man who died of too much carrot juice. He was also taking high doses of Vitamin A at the same time, however. And his carrot juice intake was truly prodigious, something like two gallons a day for over a week.

Greens contain the potential poison, alkaloids, so that an extremely excessive intake even of Green Smoothies could be bad for you. This is why many of the advisers on this subject recommend alternating the greens. Not that I completely understand this since they all contain alkaloids and alkaloids build up in the system. I'd guess this is at least partly because there are different kinds of alkaloids, but I think more research is needed here.

I suppose you could overdose on anything of course. Someone died of drinking too much water a while back as I recall.

Knowing the possible negatives may just put a healthy limit on the program. I feel better for knowing about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment