Thursday, December 16, 2010

Green Smoothy Detour

Just didn't want to do a smoothy today. I'm going to have to reorient and get back to it. Not giving up, just figuring this is the way it has to go with a new thing, on again off again until it either takes hold or doesn't.

I read one blogger recently who did the 30-Day Raw Food Diet. He'd started it four or five times previously and it didn't take for him -- not enough calories was the basic problem -- so he did more research and tried again. He analyzed the calorie deficit problem and realized getting enough in this diet depends upon the natural fats -- in the form of nuts and avocados -- and/or the fruits, and decided the emphasis should be on the fruits. I'll have to reread it to know why it didn't take this time either, but it didn't, although it had some benefits he enjoyed and he found some foods he wanted to make a part of his usual diet. So be it. We'll either find a way to make use of the ideas or not.

In researching about the green smoothies and the overall raw food diet (I do plan to post links with some opinions eventually) I ran across some interesting related foods. One I kept being attracted to was Carrot Milkshake. One health-food practice I do occasionally do is juice my own fruits and vegetables. I used to do a lot more of it but I did go through a bag of carrots in a few days about a month ago. I love carrot juice.

So tonight I made a carrot milkshake instead of a green smoothy. I juiced the carrots first and then mixed them with their own fiber in the blender. Seemed easier than grating them first or watching my blender struggle with hard pieces of carrot (Now THAT's a job for one of those huge powerful blenders). I used six medium carrots instead of one large one, used a scant cup of milk instead of 10 ounces, used 2T sugar instead of 1-1/2. I have no cardamom, wish I did but it still tasted good. Yes, very nice drink.

Then the chard I had for the smoothies was getting wilted so I cooked it and some potatoes and then sauteed them together with garlic in olive oil, added some butter at the end, and boy was THAT good. I thought that one up myself but I did check the internet and found a recipe very close to what I'd thought up, so I followed its steps.

I'll never be a vegan, or any kind of vegetarian, but I do love vegies.

No comments:

Post a Comment