Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A short word in favor of The Carrot

BIG pot of carrots cooked then pureed, eaten as a thick soup with some ginger and sour cream, yum. I'm actually stuffed. On carrot soup! Hardly any calories.

I was going to do a post on the wonderful carrot, carrot juice which I love, and the lore I'm aware of about people curing themselves of cancer on the stuff. I could repeat a couple anecdotes but it probably deserves more research.

I did at least find a website on the glorious carrot for anyone who might be interested, and a page linked from that one that discusses the relative merits of cooking them versus eating them raw . In a nutshell: Cooking makes the beta carotene more available than eating carrots raw, but there are good and better ways of doing it, and juicing the carrots is even better for releasing the nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment